Political Tourists
So, my neighborhood is crawling with 'political tourists' - people bussed in from around Ukraine to set up tents as protest against the President's (legally contested) decision to call early partlimentary elections. I lived in Ukraine before and after the Orange Revolution, but I missed the show back then. Now I'm knee-deep in civic participation and am completely underwhelmed. It would be so much more exciting if I was just reading about it on the BBC instead of looking at it out my window. I would have thought reality would be much more exciting than this, but it's not.
Ukraine is always interesting, and I love this place for it. But in this instance I would prefer media sensationalism from afar than the humdrum reality out my window.
Ukraine is always interesting, and I love this place for it. But in this instance I would prefer media sensationalism from afar than the humdrum reality out my window.

9 Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
By
jbshyu, at 2:20 AM
I mean 12 weeks left... good for you, bad for me. =)
By
jbshyu, at 6:01 PM
You know, some things in my life seem to parallel yours. You went to college. I went to college. You joined Peace Corps. I joined Teach for America. You worked for Peace Corps. I work for Teach for America. You live in Ukraine. I live almost in Mexico. You have political tourists camped outside of your apartment rallying for their beliefs. I have retired Midwesterners lining up at Walgreens Pharmacy for their prescriptions.
By
jbshyu, at 7:08 PM
And for the record, I am NOT trying to copy you! (Although I hear there's that Fulbright Teacher's Fellowship out there...)
By
jbshyu, at 7:10 PM
10 1/2 weeks left!!! Better for me!
By
jbshyu, at 10:46 PM
FIVE WEEKS FIVE DAYS TO GO!!!
By
jbshyu, at 12:19 PM
4 weeks 5 days
By
jbshyu, at 8:20 AM
3 1/2 weeks to go
By
jbshyu, at 12:03 PM
Less than 2 weeks to go. =) Miss you.
By
jbshyu, at 8:31 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home